I’m continuing with my mid-year “Best” list posts…

I’m adding this post to ALL END-OF-YEAR “BEST” LISTS FOR 2021 IN ONE PLACE!

You can see all previous Social Studies lists here.

Here picks for this year:

THE BEST ONLINE TOOLS TO SEE NEWSPAPERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M ONLY JUST LEARNING ABOUT THE “FANGEOPOLITICS” GAME!

A BEGINNING LIST TO LEARN ABOUT THE 2022 BEIJING WINTER OLYMPICS

THE BEST RESOURCES FOR LEARNING ABOUT THE LIFE OF BOB MOSES

The Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture has unveiled the Searchable Museum, and online portal to virtually visit much of what the museum has to offer….You can read more about it at The Washington Post article, Smithsonian African American museum launches online interactive access. The museum also has some online exhibits at Google Arts and Culture, and they pale in comparison to the quantity of features on the new site. I’m adding this info to The Best Sites To Teach About African-American History.

Google Arts and Culture announced a new Indigenous Americas site. It’s “a collection of Indigenous art and culture that spans beyond the U.S. and across the Americas to make these stories available to anyone, anywhere in the world.” I’m adding it to The Best Sites For International Day Of The World’s Indigenous People.

A book about The 1619 Project was recently published (you can learn more about the project at USEFUL RESOURCES FOR LEARNING ABOUT THE 400TH ANNIVERSARY OF BRINGING ENSLAVED AFRICANS TO AMERICA). Congratulations to Nikole Hannah-Jones! I know I’m looking forward to reading it! At the same time, the Pulitzer Center has expanded their teaching resources about it and created a new website at 1619 Education.It’s filled with tried-and-true lesson ideas from teachers across the country and will certainly almost immediately become one of the most popular education sites on the web.

The U.S. Census released the count from last year. You can read summaries at The NY Times, Live Updates: Census Data Reveals Which Cities Gained or Lost Population. And you can explore the data interactively at the U.S. Census Interactive Gallery. I’m adding this info to The Best Tools For Analyzing Census Data.

A ton of museums and nonprofit organizations are trying to inaugurate a tradition they are calling “Civic Season”:

a three-week period that stretches from Flag Day on June 14 through the Fourth of July, and includes Juneteenth and Pride Month… The project aims to ask Americans, and young people in particular, to stretch the usual bounds of the red-white-and-blue festivities to include a new mission of reflection and civic engagement.

I’m a bit skeptical of it catching on, especially since that’s the end of the school year. However, they have created a website chockful of related activities, many of which can be used at other times of the year. I’m adding this info to The Best Websites For Learning About Civic Participation & Citizenship.