Margarita Calderón, Ph.D., Professor Emerita/Senior Research Scientist, Johns Hopkins University and President/CEO of Margarita Calderón & Associates (MC&A). Shawn Slakk, Senior Consultant and VP of Operations for MC&A, former RETELL Coordinator for Massachusetts’ DOE. Margarita and Shawn conduct comprehensive professional development known as ExC-ELL (Expediting Comprehension for English Learners) including follow up coaching and TLCs across the country. Their publications include:
- Calderón, M.E., Hertz-Lazarowitz, R. & R.E. Slavin. (Nov. 1998). Effects of Bilingual Cooperative Integrated Reading and Composition on students making the transition from Spanish to English reading. The Elementary School Journal, Vol. 99, No. 2. http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/461920. Also found in the What Works Clearinghouse: https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/EvidenceSnapshot/47
- Calderón, M. & Carreón, A. (2001). A two-way bilingual program: Promise, practice and precautions. In Slavin, R.E. & M. Calderón. (Eds.) Effective programs for Latino children. Nahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Calderón, M. E. (2007). Teaching reading to English language learners, Grades 6-12: A framework for improving achievement in the content areas. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Calderón, M. E., S. S. Slakk & H. Montenegro. (2017) Promises Fulfilled: A Leader’s Guide for Supporting English Learners. IN: Solution Tree Calderón, M., Carreón, A., Duran, D., & A. Fitch (2009). Preparing math, science, social studies and language arts teachers with English Learners with ExC-ELL: Report to The Carnegie Corporation of New York. New York: The Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- Calderón, M. E. & S. S. Slakk (2017). Taking the Holistic Approach! Language Magazine. http://languagemagazine.com/2017/03/taking-hol