I teach English, Social Studies and International Baccalaureate classes to English Language Learners and mainstream students at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento, California.

I’ve written nine books: The ELL Teacher’s Toolbox (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski) Navigating The Common Core With English Language Learners (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski); Building A Community Of Self-Motivated Learners: Strategies To Help Students Thrive In School and Beyond; Classroom Management Q&As: Expert Strategies for Teaching; Self-Driven Learning: Teaching Strategies For Student Motivation; The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski); Helping Students Motivate Themselves: Practical Answers To Classroom Challenges; English Language Learners: Teaching Strategies That Work; and Building Parent Engagement In Schools (with co-author Lorie Hammond).

I’ve won several awards, including the Leadership For A Changing World Award from the Ford Foundation, and was the Grand Prize Winner of the International Reading Association Award for Technology and Reading.

I write a popular education blog at http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/ , a weekly teacher advice column for Education Week Teacher and regular posts for The New York Times and The British Council. My articles on education policy appear in the Washington Post and the Huffington Post. In addition, my articles have appeared in publications such as ASCD Educational Leadership, Social Policy, and Language Magazine.

In addition, I host a weekly radio show on BAM! Education Radio.

I was a community organizer for nineteen years prior to becoming a public school teacher.

I’m married and have three children and two grandchildren.

You can also read an interview with me that appeared in the Sacramento Bee.