“Timelines” Is Like A Very Accessible Wikipedia

Timelines is a neat tool that lets users contribute towards making “timelines” of historical events with text, photos, and videos. People can then vote on which ones they like best, though everyone’s contributions appear to remain displayed.

It’s extremely easy to contribute — much, much easier than to something like Wikipedia.  Timelines is a great place for students to write for an authentic audience, which is why I’m adding it to The Best Places Where Students Can Write For An “Authentic Audience”.

Of course, there’s always the possibility of inappropriate content being uploaded, though I didn’t see any in a a quick look. There are some people named “moderators” — perhaps they have a role in removing some items?

(Bob Armour from Timelines says this about the inappropriate content issue:  “When items are flagged on the site, our moderators remove or change it. Items can be flagged by users if they are offensive, inaccurate, duplicate, spam or other.”)

1. Thanks for the post Larry! Re: moderation, when items are flagged on the site, our moderators remove or change it. Items can be flagged by users if they are offensive, inaccurate, duplicate, spam or other.