More Info On FCC’s Plan To Get Internet & Computers To Student Homes

I’ve written quite a bit about our school’s efforts, other similar programs, and new national initiatives to get Internet access and computers into the homes of low-income students and their families (see The Best Resources For Learning About Schools Providing Home Computers & Internet Access To Students).

I’ve just seen the public announcement by the Federal Communications Commission laying-out their 2012 plan to make a huge effort towards this goal happen, and it really sounds impressive.

I must admit to a bit of skepticism, as well. During my nineteen year community organizing career, I saw many big public pronouncements from government bodies or private institutions like banks about huge investments they were going to make in programs to help low-income communities. Sometimes those words would turn into reality, and sometimes they wouldn’t.

Let’s hope this one actually happens….

1. What about all the private internet companies (like comcast and now others) that plan on offering internet access for $10/month to low-income families? Is that part of the FCC plan or separate from it?