As regular readers know, I’ve authored, co-authored, or co-edited twelve books on education, plus a second edition of The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival guide that was updated enough for it to be a “new” book (you can see tons of free resources from all of them here).

Here is what is in my book-writing future:

• I’ve previously written three books on ways to create classroom conditions to support the development of student intrinsic motivation.  This summer I’m working on a fourth motivation book, though this one will be a shorter one more designed as a “handbook” for teachers.  The manuscript is supposed to be done by the end of this summer, but I, ahem, am having some motivational issues and would prefer to watch Netflix, play Pickleball, and nap.  Nevertheless, most of it should be done by next month and the whole thing should be ready by December 1st at the latest.
  • Katie Hull Sypnieski and I have begun preparing a second edition of The ELL Teacher’s Toolbox that should be published within the next two-and-a-half years.  Many new editions have about thirty percent new content – we hit close to forty-five percent in the Survival Guide second edition and we wouldn’t be surprised if we do the same here.  Between teaching full-time and family responsibilities, we’re done writing books over one summer, and have decided we need two full summers from here on.
  • After that, Katie and I will write a book that will be geared towards all teachers, and not only those with ELLs in their classes.  I’ll provide more details as that time approaches.

Contracts have been signed, or are nearly signed, for all three books, so I guess we’ll have to deliver them.

By the time that third one is done, it will probably be time for us to do a third edition of The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide.

Also, by that time, I will most likely be retired (or be very close to retiring) from teaching full-time.  At that point, I’ll probably be volunteering in Katie’s class, hanging out with grandkids, playing a lot more Pickleball, watching Netflix, and taking a lot of naps….