vixmsf / Pixabay

I know phonics is all the rage these days with the “Science of Reading.”

I suspect that one of the reasons way many teachers have not been overly enthusiastic with emphasizing phonics is because – at least in the past – phonics programs have often been of the “drill-and-kill” variety.

Phonics has always been a part of of my reading instruction with English Language Learners.  However, I have used an inductive strategy that promotes phonics AND higher-order thinking skills.

I’ve often written about it in my books, and you can get a pretty good sense of what I do in this older post – Here’s A New Phonics Activity I Did Today.

Pages from the book, Sounds Easy, make this kind of instruction easy.  However, it’s now out-of-print.  It’s easy at this time to purchase a used edition, but who knows for how long those will be available.

Whenever that time arrives, it shouldn’t be too difficult for teachers to create their own version of that book’s worksheets, which include words and images.

Here are a few resources I quickly found online that seem to have either free or very low-cost resources that a teacher can use to recreate versions of the Sounds Easy sheets:

Phonics Worksheets from the All Kids Network.

Phonics Worksheets from K-5 Learning.

Phonics Worksheets from Free4Classrooms.

Printable Letter Sound Worksheets from Education.com.

Phonics Cards from Reading Mama.

Full Phonics from Super Teacher Worksheets.

I’m adding this post to:

The Best Resources About Inductive Learning & Teaching

The Best Articles & Sites For Teachers & Students To Learn About Phonics