The Best Sites To Learn About San Francisco

I’m taking one hundred students to San Francisco next week on one of our annual insane field trips.  We’ll be visiting the Museum of The African Diaspora, the Contemporary Jewish Museum, Chinatown, and a variety of other places (I’ll be posting photos on my website).

In preparation for the trip, I thought I’d put together a collection of links for them to review on Tuesday..

You might also be interested in The Best Websites To Learn About California.

(by the way, you might also be interested in The Best Sites For Learning About The Golden Gate Bridge)

Here are my choices for The Best Sites To Learn About San Francisco (and are accessible to English Language Learners) They are not in order of preference:

Learn about the Golden Gate Bridge with this lesson from the California Distance Learning Project. It’s designed for ELL’s, and includes follow-up activities.

A “talking story” for ELL’s will tell you more about the famous bridge.

Learn more about San Francisco through this listening exercise which includes an audio slideshow.

EL Civics offers a San Francisco Photo Tour for English Language Learners.

Walk This Way is a virtual journey into San Francisco’s Chinatown.

Here’s another animation about the bridge’s construction.

Here’s an interactive feature about preparing for an earthquakei n San Francisco.

Here’s a travel video giving an overview of San Francisco.

Open Road TV has a number of excellent San Francisco videos, including ones on Fisherman’s Wharf, a San Francisco Walking Tour, and Market Street.

Here’s a simple slideshow of the city.

See panoramic images of San Francisco at 360 Cities.

Here are some more online videos of San Francisco — this time from GeoBeats.

A Weekend In San Francisco’s Mission District is a slideshow from The New York Times.

Lost Landscapes of San Francisco is a series of restored film clips of San Francisco — some from more than 100 years ago.

The San Francisco Chronicle has published newly discovered color photos documenting the destruction of the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. These are not manually tinted ones — they are one of the earliest actual color photographs. You can read an article about them here – and see them, too.

When the Golden Gate Bridge Opened, 74 Years Ago is a video and slideshow from The Atlantic.

San Francisco’s Coit Tower murals is a photo gallery from The Los Angeles Times.

Twenty-five free attractions in San Francisco is from the BBC

Old S.F. shows old photos from San Francisco.

Time Shutter does the same for San Francisco.

San Francisco’s Famed Coit Tower Murals in Peril Due to Fog, Neglect is a video and slideshow from the PBS News Hour.

A Replacement Bridge Rises on the Bay is an interactive from the New York Times.

For 1906 earthquake survivors, a day to remember is a slideshow from The San Francisco Chronicle.

New S.F. archive includes stunning photos from 1906 quake

"I Left My Heart" SF Timelapse Project from PermaGrin Films on Vimeo.

Here are more photos from the 1906 earthquake.

The Great San Francisco Earthquake: Photographs From 110 Years Ago is from The Atlantic.

Feel free to offer feedback and additional suggestions.

1. Hi there,
    Thanks for mentioning my website SOUNDGUIDE at http://www.soundguideweb.com.
    Yet, the people you should really pay tribute to are the people from http://www.watchmojo.com who produce these marvelous videos.
    I only humbly try to make a few exercises with their material.
    Keep up the good work.
    All the best from southern France.
    Rodolphe