The Best Sites For Learning About Weird-Looking Creatures (And For Making Your Own!)

Weird-looking critters always generate high-interest from students — English Language Learners and mainstream alike. Reading, writing, and talking about them are excellent language-development activities, and I’ve listed some good accessible sites on this list.

In the second part of this post, I share some sites that — believe it or not — let students also easily create their own weird-looking animals. First designing, then describing (along with talking and listening) them also provide good language-learning opportunities.

Here are my choices for The Best Sites For Learning About Weird-Looking Creatures And For Making Your Own!):

LEARNING ABOUT THEM:

19 Insanely Weird Animals is a slideshow from LIFE Magazine.

The weirdest animals on Planet Earth comes from the British paper The Telegraph.

MSN has some of the World’s weirdest animals and Weird Animals That You Can Travel to See.

Weird New Animals From Antarctica’s Deep Seas is from National Geographic.

Nick Baker’s Weird Creatures is a show on the Smithsonian Channel, and you can see many clips on their site.

The Web Ecoist has several good resources, including:

The 9 Strangest Animals on Earth

Nine Outstanding Expanding Animals!

15 of the World’s Strangest Animals

20 Scary Animals

The Weird Animal Express is a student-created site.

Strange, odd and beautiful creatures is from a Florida newspaper.

Learn about Top 10 Fantastic and Surreal Creatures (and see pictures) at Listverse.

CREATING YOUR OWN:

With Animal Mix-Up you can create a bizarre creature, email the link and post it. English Language Learners can not only use it as an opportunity to describe their creation, but the design process itself provides an excellent opportunity for vocabulary development. There are a lot of choices for creature modifications, and their accompanied with visual and text descriptions.

Build Your WIldself is from the New York Zoos and Aquarium. Instead of explaining it here, I’m just going to suggest you read a post from Kevin Jarrett which explains it in detail.

The Switch Zoo is another similar site. However, you can only print-out creation, not save it online.

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore the 400 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.