2529844028

Total Physical Response (TPR) is a key feature in many second-language classrooms, especially with Beginners, and my room is no different.

I thought readers might find it useful if I pulled together a few useful related resources.

To begin with, here are three previous related “Best” lists:

The Best Resources On Students Using Gestures & Physical Movement To Help With Learning

A Quasi “The Best” List On TPRS (TPR Storytelling) For Teaching ESL

The Best “When I Say Jump” Online Sites For Practicing English (this site has a few tools where students can take control by commanding online characters to do what they want them to do. Most of the original sites on that list are off-line now, but there still are a few – let me know if you are aware of others).

One of the best sites on the Web for learning English is Henny Jellema’s Online TPR Exercises — You’ve got to see this site to believe it. I can’t imagine the amount of work that went into creating the exercises. However, as he cautions, it’s critical to combine using his online activities with physical TPR lessons.

Now, here are a few resources for just plain good-old TPR that I think offer particularly useful materials and ideas:

Here’s a simple introduction to the method from The British Council.

How to Use Total Physical Response in ESL Instruction

502 Words that Can Be Learned with Total Physical Response (TPR), By Domain

This link also has a list of words.

Making Learning Stick: Total Physical Response is by Valentina Gonzalez.

Reverse physical stories is an interesting twist on TPR.