My English Language Learner students are always interested in learning about New York City — they’ve all certainly heard of it. I, too, am interested in it since I’m a native New Yorker. So I thought I’d put together a “The Best…” list to help my students become more acquainted with the city.

Readers might also be interested in The Best Sites To Help Teach About 9/11.

Also, you might want to check out The Best Displays Of Just-Released New York City Historical Photos.

Here are my picks for The Best Sites For Learning About New York City (and, of course, are accessible to ELL’s):

The English Language Listening Lab Online has a short listening exercise and quiz about a person’s visit to New York City.

Video: New York with Subtitles.

You can take an interactive tour of Ellis Island.

This is just a fun slideshow from The New York Times about how people walk in the rain and snow in the city during winter.

NYC Tourist has many excellent short videos about New York’s attractions.

150 Years of Central Park is a new slideshow from TIME Magazine.

Michelle Henry has a great collection of Webquests/Internet Scavenger Hunts about New York City.

“The Greatest New York Photo Book Ever” is the title of a slideshow from TIME Magazine.

New York Day from motionkicker on Vimeo.

This is how an article in The New York Times begins:

An imposingly realistic vision of the old 1 World Trade Center, the ultimately doomed north tower, will begin appearing next month in a most unlikely place: the five special elevators servicing the observatory atop the new 1 World Trade Center.

From the moment the doors close until they reopen 47 seconds later on the 102nd floor, a seemingly three-dimensional time-lapse panorama will unfold on three walls of the elevator cabs, as if one were witnessing 515 years of history unfolding at the tip of Manhattan Island.

I’ve embedded the video below:

Ms Maufroid has created a nice interactive about New York City.

8K COLORS OF NEWYORK 2016 from jansoli on Vimeo.

Suggestions and feedback, as always, are welcome.