The Best Places To Learn About (And View Video Clips Of) Teachers In The Movies

'To Sir with Love' photo (c) 2011, Nick - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I recently received an email from Jay Sugerman, a fourth-grade teacher in Massachusetts, asking me if I knew of any places that had video clips of teachers portrayed on television or in the movies.

I thought it was a good question, and so decided to make a quick “The Best…” list.

I’d also be interested in hearing readers share which TV or movie teachers you feel are the best — and worst — role models out there. Please leave a comment if you have an idea. Also, please share if you have other suggestions of where to find similar clip collections.

Here are my choices for The Best Places To Learn About (And View Video Clips Of) Teachers In the Movies (I generally only included sites that also had video clips, though I’ve also included several good commentaries, too):

You can see a short video collage titled Top 5 Best Teachers in the Movies.

10 A+ Worthy Movie and TV Teachers is the title of another list.

10 Best Movie & Television Teachers

The Onion has a list of 26 evil, awful, or just plain stupid educators in TV and film.

Here’s a good commentary titled Teacher Leadership, Hollywood Style.

The New York Times ran a piece titled Class Distinctions, a response to the “Freedom Writers” movie.

Rethinking Schools had a similar column, Freedom Writers: White Teacher to the Rescue.

This is an interesting analysis of teachers in the movies over the past sixty years. You can see a chart showing class, race and gender.

Films and School Reform by Larry Cuban and Depictions of Education in Film at Learning First both provide good commentary on “hero” teachers in movies about schools, as does Saviors and Burnouts: Rethinking Teachers in Popular Culture from Rethinking Schools.

Top 10 Movie Teachers of the Year is from Reelz.

For some fun, check out the Most memorable teachers from Bollywood.

See the video at “greatest single commentary on flaws of data-driven school reform today.”

Edutopia has published a great round-up of teacher movie portrayals: Five-Minute Film Festival: Hollywood Teachers.

I Can Think Of So Many People Who Should See “Nice White Lady” Parody

Not So Hot for Teacher is a very interesting New York Times article about the portrayal of teachers in movies and in TV.

Forget ‘Won’t Back Down’ – Here Are Some Movies Educators DO Love is from NEA Today.

Back to School: 10 Great Movie Teachers is a nice video collection from TIME Magazine.

Quote Of The Day: “2014 Resolution: Stop Watching Feel-Good Teacher Movies”

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore the 400 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Hi Larry ,

Great list as always and I’ll be investigating those I haven’t visited.
    This has become my minor hobby/confession! I just posted up a nice doc (don’t know if that qualifies – Children full of life. Amazing teacher.). Anyway, we have a list of over 45 listed videos with trailers on EFL Classroom 2.0′s forum. My fav. – Blackboards. An Iranian film about teachers walking around with blackboards selling their ability to “give literacy”. True and wonderful film.

David
    http://eflclassroom.com

2. Thanks very much for the mention Larry – and the other sites too.
    I love films, and as I write about education, I try to marry the two as much as possible. I’ve also got lists on the best – and worst – college movies, among others!

3. Many of your links are broken :(

• Michael,

Thanks for letting me know. I try to update the links on each of my “The Best…” lists at least once a year, but I may have missed this one. Check back in a few days and it will be all up to date!

Larry

4. Pingback: Five-Minute Film Festival: Hollywood Teachers « « DediCommDediComm