The Best Sites For Learning Strategies To Teach ELL’s In Content Classes

'Walking around Valencia St.' photo (c) 2005, Liz Henry - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Check out The Best Multilingual & Bilingual Sites For Math, Social Studies, & Science

Many teachers of “content” classes (mainstream classes with some English Language Learners in them) face challenges each day. My upcoming book will have a chapter on the topic, and Judie Haynes, who will be my “Interview of the Month” in September, has written a whole book on the subject.

Here are choices for The Best Sites For Learning Strategies To Teach ELL’s In Content Classes:

Content Instruction for ELLs is a great resource from Colorin Colorado.

That page includes a particularly useful article titled Preparing an Engaging Social Studies Lesson for English Language Learners.

Trend Watch: A Spate of Research Awards on STEM and ELLs is by Mary Ann Zehr at Ed Week. Her post contains several excellent links to resources.

Here’s an excellent Science lesson plan using the Picture Word Inductive Model. Here’s a fairly decent Social Studies one using the PWIM.

What Can a Mathematics Teacher Do for the English Language Learner? is from SEDL.

Math and Science Literacy for English Language Learners is from The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition.

The Province of Alberta has excellent guides for teaching ELL’s in math and in science.

Though it’s not specifically geared towards teaching ELL’s, this document provides an excellent review of using inductive learning techniques in Science. I’ve written a lot in my book about how I believe, and research demonstrates, that teaching inductively can be very effective with all students, including ELL’s.

Great Storify On Teaching English Language Learners

David Deubelbeiss has created an excellent slideshow sharing modifications teachers can make for English Language Learners in the classroom.

Supporting English Language Learners In Content Classes

Mathematics in English is an interactive from Engames.

Six Strategies for Teaching ELLs Across the Content Areas is by Judie Haynes.

Feedback is welcome.

You might also want to explore the 700 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.