The Best Posts On Metacognition

'Thinking' photo (c) 2008, Wade M - license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Helping students strengthen their understanding of metacognition — thinking about their thinking — is an important goal of my teaching. And I’ve written a lot about it. I thought it would be helpful to gather all of those posts in one “The Best…” list.

Here are My Best Posts On Metacognition:

ALSO:

How People Learn:Bridging Research and Practice is a new book from The National Academy Of Sciences and can be read for free online. It focuses on three teaching strategies — activating prior knowledge, focusing on big concept ideas and encouraging pattern recognition, and developing awareness of metacognition.

Do Students Know Enough Smart Learning Strategies? is an important post at MindShift that describes a recent Australian study. It highlights the importance of helping students develop metacognitive skills.

Metacognition and Student Learning is from The Chronicle on Higher Education.

Bringing Metacognition into the Classroom is by Lizzie Pinard.

The Importance Of Explaining “Why”

My top ten learner autonomy and metacognition resources is from Lizzie Pinard.

Coming up with explanations helps children develop cause-and-effect thinking skills is a report from Science Daily on a new study.

The role of metacognition in language learning is by Lizzie Pinard.

Helping language learners visualise their linguistic development: growing learning is by Lizzie Pinard.

Feedback is welcome.

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at the 900 other “The Best…” lists and consider subscribing to this blog for free.