The Best Resources For Learning About The “Maker Movement” — Help Me Find More

maker

The Maker Movement has been receiving more and more attention lately. I thought I’d quickly bring together a few links giving an introduction to it, and invite readers to contribute more.

Here is a beginning list:

Invent To Learn: Makers in the classroom is by by Sylvia Libow Martinez & Gary S. Stager, and appeared in Middleweb. It’s clearly the best place to start.

You might also want to listen to a nine-minute podcast interview I did with Sylvia and Tanya Baker from The National Writing Project.

Meet the Makers: Can a DIY movement revolutionize how we learn? is from The School Library Journal.

Dive into the Maker Movement is from Edutopia.

Top Ed-Tech Trends of 2012: The Maker Movement is by Audrey Watters.

Explore Maker Faire Education.

Looks Pretty Cool: “Maker Camp 2013″

Lynn Marentette writes that she “attended the IDC 2013 conference and there were lots of resources about the maker movement. The conference website is now serving as an archive for the presentations.”

Story-Telling as a Maker Space is by John Spencer.

How “making” leads to “fixing” is by Clive Thompson.

The Maker Movement Matters is from Smart Blogs.

The Lure of the Technological Sublime: Morozov and the Makers is from Education Week.

I’ve posted a two-part series on The Maker Movement at my Education Week Teacher blog, and here are additional resources suggested by Sylvia Martinez and Gary Stager in their guest response (I didn’t have space to include them there):

Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Education in the Classroom – This website is the home of a groundbreaking book by Sylvia Libow Martinez and Gary Stager. Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom gives educators a practical guide to bringing 21st century tools, technology, and pedagogy to any classroom. The website also includes recommended books and hundreds of links to resources and professional development for making, tinkering, and engineering in the K-12 classroom.

Video – Making in Education – Gary Stager’s interview with Steve Hargadon at the 2012 San Mateo Maker Faire

Constructing Modern Knowledge – premier event for teacher professional learning with the tools and materials of the 21st century.

Learning by Making: American kids should be building rockets and robots, not taking standardized tests by Dale Dougherty (Slate magazine online)

Make magazine The bible of the Maker Movement.

Sylvia’s Super Awesome Maker Show is a video series produced by Sylvia, an 11-year-old maker, and her father. The videos are youthful and vibrant examples of playful technology.

Why I LOVE My 3D Printer (and you will too!) is a video of a passionate talk by 12-year-old Schuyler St. Leger.

Joey Hudy Goes to the Whitehouse Joey Hudy is a young maker and entrepreneur who surprised President Obama with a homemade marshmallow cannon in the White House.

The Story of Caine’s Arcade

If you found post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to blog for free.

You might also want to explore the 1100 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.