The Best Resources For Organizing & Maximizing Field Trips – Both “Real” & “Virtual”

1829505598

‘Great Field Trips Expand the Mind’ is the headline of the third-and-last post in my Education Week Teacher series.

I’m a big fan of field trips — the “real” kind, where we take students out of the classroom. I also believe, though, that “virtual” trips can be useful.

Here are resources, including past posts, about how to organize and maximize both types of field trips (and why they’re important):

Fewer field trips mean some students miss more than a day at the museum is from Brookings.

Field Trips Leave Indelible Memories is by Walt Gardner.

Google Expands Its “Expeditions” Virtual Field Trips For Schools (that post includes links to several other pieces I’ve written about Google’s Expeditions program)

The Best Resources For Finding And Creating Virtual Field Trips

The Best Sites Where Students Can Plan Virtual Trips

Why the much-maligned field trip really matters is from The Washington Post.

Successful Field Trips with English Language Learners is from Colorin Colorado.

Skype Connects Classrooms With Field Trips Around the World is from Ed Tech Magazine. I’m adding it to The Best Ways To Find Other Classes For Joint Online Projects.

Smithsonian’s “Our Story” Is A Valuable Resource For Teachers & Parents (nice forms to use on field trips to any museum)

Learning from Live Theater is from Education Next and reviews research on the value of taking students on field trips.

English Language Learners Design Their Own “Ideal” Neighborhoods discusses a field trip I do every year.

How Field Trips Build Critical Thinking Skills is a post from MindShift about a recent study.

Here’s What Students Did On Our Field Trip To The Zoo

The Best Web Applications That Lets Multiple People Upload Their Photos To One Place

The Fabulous Field Trip Guide: Mobile Learning and QR Codes is from Shelly Terrell.

Google Unveils Lots Of New Ed Projects, Including Opening “Expeditions” To Everybody

ESOL Community Scavenger Hunts is from TESOL.

What am I missing?