The Best Research Available On The Use Of Technology In Schools

'hackNY 2011 Spring Student Hackathon' photo (c) 2011, hackNY.org - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

I’m a big believer in using technology with language learners, and believe that it is a huge teaching and learning asset. My own experience, and a lot of research, bears that out and I’ve compiled it in The Best Places To Find Research On Technology & Language Teaching/Learning.

I’m not convinced that value-added (I hate that phrase because of its connection to teacher evaluation) benefit holds equally true with mainstream K-12 students, but I’m open to learning that it is.

I hope readers will contribute more links.

Here are my choices of for The Best Research Available On The Use Of Technology In Schools:

Technology In Schools: What The Research Says
is from Cisco.

Maine’s Laptop Initiative Improves Student Writing is from The National Writing Project.

Damien Murtagh recommends the Digital Education Research Network (DERN).

David Gilmour suggests Educational Research and Innovation: Are the New Millennium Learners Making the Grade?: Technology Use and Educational Performance in PISA 2006.

The New York Times has published a major article on technology use in schools titled In Classroom of Future, Stagnant Scores.

Leonie Haimson suggests Evaluation of Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning: A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies.

Inflating the Software Report Card appeared in The New York Times.

Deconstructing “What Works” in Education Technology is from the Mind Shift blog and offers useful commentary on recent research on technology in education.

Mixed results using iPads reviews a study evaluating tech’s impact on student achievement.

Plugged into learning: Computers help students advance is from Eureka Alert.

The Tech-Driven Classroom Is Here, But Grades Are Mixed is from Forbes.

ADDENDUM:

The Relationship Status of Teachers and Educational Technology: It’s Complicated by Roxanna Elden is hands-down the wittiest, and certainly one of the most insightful, pieces I’ve read about the use of ed tech. It’s not about research, but it’s essential reading.

Do smart devices make smart kids? is from The BBC.

Mixed grades for Peru’s kids laptop program is from USA Today.

What’s Worth Investing In? How to Decide What Technology You Need is from The Mind/Shift blog.

Maine’s Decade-Old School Laptop Program Wins Qualified Praise is from The Huffington Post.

Technology Integration Research Review is from Edutopia.

Studies of iPad Use in Education is from Richard Byrne.

Study Gauges Value of Technology in Schools is from The New York Times.

So, do iPads really improve student learning? is from Plugged-In Pedagogy.

What’s The Evidence on School Devices and Software Improving Student Learning? is by Larry Cuban.

iPads In Special Ed: What Does The Research Say? is from NPR.

Educational technology isn’t leveling the playing field is from The Hechinger Report.

Report: Technology benefits at-risk students is from Ed Source.

Additional contributions are welcome!

You might also want to explore the nearly 760 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Pingback: What Is The Best Research Available On The Use Of Technology In Schools? | tech_integration | Scoop.it

2. the list above is very slanted and inadequate; check out the citations and links here: http://www2.ed.gov/rschstat/eval/tech/evidence-based-practices/finalreport.pdf
    largest meta-analysis; concludes no evidence for online K-12
    learning

http://nepc.colorado.edu/files/EMO-FP-09-10.pdf – fewer online charter schools make AYP

Summary of other problems here; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leonie-haimson/class-bias-class-size-and_b_862269.html

3. Technology in the classroom is a tool, not a strategy. If the instructional practices in the classroom are not sound, technology isn’t going to fix it.

4. Pingback: Useful links (Weekly) « Rhondda's Reflections – wandering around the Web