'Reflections - fountain' photo (c) 2008, Sudarshan V - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I have several other “The Best…” lists that relate to reflection (on goal-setting, self-control, metacognition, asking good questions, critical thinking, etc.), but thought I’d put one together specifically on the topic.

Student ‘Reflection Needs to Be a Habit’ is Part Two in my Education Week series on reflection in the classroom. You might want to start there and at Part One.

And I hope that readers will contribute more.

You might also be interested in The Best Questions To Use For Class Closing Activities — What Are Yours?

Here are my choices for The Best Resources On Student & Teacher Reflection:

I’m a big fan of Hannah Arendt and use her work to help students see the importance of reflection. Here are two related previous posts:

Video: “Hannah Arendt” — The Movie (& The Importance Of Reflection)

Quote Of The Day: Hannah Arendt & The Origin Of Evil

A Taxonomy of Reflection: Critical Thinking For Students, Teachers, and Principals is by Peter Pappas.

Empowering Students Through Reflection and Feedback is from Let’s Get Engaged.

Four Levels of Student Reflection is from Faculty Focus.

Reflective Thinking

Why The Brain Benefits From Reflection In Learning is from Teach Thought.

A Mid-Year Reflection for Teachers and Students is by Maurice Elias at Edutopia.

Another Big Surprise: Reflection Helps Learning

How I Incorporate Reflection Into Semester Summative Assessments

No Time To Think is from The New York Times.

Twelve Alternatives to “How Was Your Day?” is by John Spencer. It’s designed as a list of questions for parents to ask their children, but can easily be adapted by teachers for reflection activities.

Learning By Thinking: How Reflection Improves Performance is from Harvard.

Warm-Ups, Bell-Ringers, Exit Tickets and…Vitamins? Road Tested / Lesson Closure: Stick the Landing is from ASCD and offers several good idea about ending lessons. What A Shock! Study Finds That Student Reflection Helps Learning Quote Of The Day: “Self-Reflection & Effectiveness” Study: You Really Can ‘Work Smarter, Not Harder

Another Study Points To The Importance Of Reflection

Why Student Reflection Should Never Be Skipped is from Middleweb and is by Kevin Hodgson.

Quote Of The Day: Reflection Is Important

Encouraging Student Self-Reflection is by Donna Boucher.

Making Time for Reflection in Our Projects is by Anthony Cody.

Why It’s Important for Educators to Show Vulnerability is from ASCD.

HOW PRACTICING SELF-REFLECTION WORKS FOR BOTH TEACHERS AND STUDENTS is from TESL Blog.

From reflective teachers to reflective learners is from Maria’s Blog.

What Self-Awareness Really Is (and How to Cultivate It) is from The Harvard Business Review.

Self-Reflection Strategies for Students, Teachers, and Leaders is from TechNotes.