The Best Websites For Learning & Teaching Geography

'Cambridge Univeristy Press: Geography for the IB Diploma: Patterns and Change: Paul Guinness' photo (c) 2010, Richard Allaway - license:

Yes, it’s time for another one of my “The Best….” lists. one will highlight the websites I think are the best for teaching about geography.

As in my other lists, the criteria include that the sites don’t require any software download, and that they’re free, engaging, and accessible to English Language Learners.

Also, check out The Best Geography Sites For Beginning & Intermediate English Language Learners.

Here are my top picks for The Best Websites For Learning & Teaching Geography:

Mapping Our World from Oxfam is a great series of animated and audio lesson on maps, and the accuracy and inaccuracy of their projections affect our view of the world. I’ve ranked site number eleven.

Number ten is sort of a tie between three sites that are good reference sites for students to use when they’re researching different countries. One is Fact Monster- Countries. Another is DK Online World Desk Reference. For DK you have to get a password, but it’s free, quick and easy to do so. My students, and I, have found these two sites very informative and accessible. The third one, though, I believe is slightly better because it appears to have more up-to-date data and it includes images. It’s called the World Info Zone.

There’s another tie for the ninth spot on my list. Both offer an extensive collection of online videos from around the world. The two are Geobeats and National Geographic Videos.

Eighth place is  HotPads. It provides extensive demographic information about individual neighborhoods in the United States.

Mythic Journeys is number seven. You can see, hear and read animated tales about creation myths from around the world at site. These will certainly help students learn about different cultures.

The Traveler IQ Challenge is probably going to be just about the most difficult map game you’ll ever play. But it’s a lot of fun, and there are “Challenges” from all parts of the world. I’ve ranked these games number six.

Community Walk is number five. Students can put many sites on a map with descriptions and images (which can easily be grabbed off the web). Students can use these to report on countries, describe field trips, and for numerous other mapping assignments. There are lots of these kinds of site, but I’ve found Community Walk to be the most accessible.

Placespotting is number four. Students are shown a spot on the map, and given a series of riddles to help them determine what it is. All these geographic riddles are user-generated, and students can create their own, too.

The Best Sites Where Students Can Plan Virtual Trips

Finally, the number one website for learning and teaching Geography is…. the Social Studies page at I Know That. It has tons of different kinds of map games that are informative and fun. Once you click on each game, an annoying pop-up asks if you want to register. But all you have to do is click “maybe later” and it goes away.

10 Websites For Virtual Sightseeing With Travel Videos is a nice list from The Make Use of blog.

D-Maps has a huge collection of map outlines to print for class use.

This Would Be A Nice Geography Assessment is a post I’ve written.

I’ve previously highlighted Glencoe’s online videos for social studies, but have now discovered that offer many more free resources to support all their social studies textbooks. They’re useful even if you don’t use their books, though, and they’re freely available. You can start off at their main Social Studies site or at their main site for all their textbooks. From there, it’s easy to navigate to their U.S. History, World History and Geography books. They all have links to videos, “in-motion animations” like one, interactive maps like (I especially like these maps because they offer audio support for the text), and different games (I especially like their categorization activities). Here is the link to the entire video collection.

Daily life in May around the world is a series of photos from The Sacramento Bee.

Maps Of The World has lots of free printable…maps.

The New York Times Learning Network has published an excellent post called All Over the Map: 10 Ways to Teach About Geography.

Urban Observatory lets you compare three major cities of your choice from around the world and map data about them in a number of areas (population density, open space, etc.). You can read more about it at Wired.

Here’s an example showing traffic at the same time of day:

40 maps that explain the world is a great collection from the Washington Post that may be the best geography site of the year. It links to another site called 40 Maps They Didn’t Teach You In School that has a number of other good maps. However, that second site also includes a few maps with topics and language that wouldn’t be appropriate for the classroom.

Now, The Post has published a sequel: 40 more maps that explain the world.

The Post published yet another exceptional collection titled 25 maps and charts that explain America today.

Google has just created a special site for the Street Views they’ve done in remote and/or unusual sites, including Burj Khalifa, Iqaluit, Mt. Everest, the Grand Canyon, the Great Barrier Reef, the Amazon Basin and the Kennedy Space Center. More are on the way.

11 Overlay Maps That Will Change The Way You See The World is from Business Insider.

‘Doing’ Geography Instead Of ‘Studying’ It is a post at my  Education Week Teacher blog.

In it, four educators share their thoughts on teaching geography: Kelly Young, from whom I’ve learned more about teaching than from anyone else; Elisabeth Johnson, who is the best social studies teacher I’ve ever seen; middle school educator Lisa Butler; and Matt Podbury, who teaches Geography at an International School in France.

Travel By Drone has thousands of videos from around the world that have been made through the use of drones. They’re searchable by geography through a search box, and they are also pins on a map.

Lesson Plan | Analyzing Maps to Better Understand Global Current Events and History is from The New York Times Learning Network.

Six maps that will make you rethink the world is from The Washington Post.

TED-Ed has released a video and lesson titled “How North America got its shape.”

Let me know if you think I’ve missed any particularly good geography sites.

If you’ve found post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to blog for free.

1. Thank you so much for these great sites. I’ve had fun exploring and bookmarking them and sharing them.

2. Vicki,

And thank you for your great blog!

3. Hey Larry! Thanks for the second hearty endorsement of our game! Don’t forget you can chat about strategy and compare scores with other Traveler IQ addicts in our travel forums

Louise Brown
    TravelPod Community Manager

4. To teach geography by following an ongoing “blog” written by a two adventurous (and fictional) teens –and voting where the protagonists should go next, try Globetracker’s Mission: Finding Dewey. The Google Earth files that accompany each episode are optional, though they are great for those who do have access to this software. Globetracker is designed for upper elementary and middle school to learn basics and map skills as they “travel.” It is also aligned to standards.

5. Some of my teachers like to use They like how it increases levels and helps the students learn the location of countries/states.

6. Thanks for the great resources. I didn’t see this The Map as History ( on your list which I found and has been a fabulous resource for our History teacher. There are a few maps to see that are free, otherwise a subscription allows you to access all of the animated maps.

7. Thank you for this list of great websites, Larry. I’m sure my students will enjoy them when we speak about geography next time. :)
    I’d also add BBC’s Bitesize Geography to it ( The explanations are great and there are tests to help students revise what they’ve learnt. Unfortunately the videos cannot be viewed in this part of the world.
    All the best!

8. Cool stuff. Thanks. I’d like to recommend you another cool (in my opinion) website: It’s for testing the knowledge of the world map. It contains a lot of geographical objects and many options that make learning very interesting and not boring.

9. What an awesome resource you have provided for geography teachers! Thank you! I recently wrote a children’s geography picture book to help get younger children excited about geography and I uploaded it on youtube to enable free access to teachers and kids. If there’s a chance you could share the link with everyone it would be awesome.
    or one can always just search youtube by its title, “Geography Studies with Animal Buddies” It’s definitely geared for PreK through 4th or 5th tops.

10. I’m looking for an online world and US map that allows students to fill color online in google. My school is moving toward all online google based resources. No more printing and coloring maps. If I want students to create choropleth maps online, do you have any suggestions?

11. Larry, here’s another resource to check out:
    This is a free unique high-end game that uses graphics, sounds, videos and interactive maps to teach geography and world literacy. Suitable for ages 8 and up. The game is still under development but very playable right now. Come help us shape the game or just join in the fun.