The Best Sites To Help ELL’s Learn Idioms & Slang

Idioms and slang are tricky, but important,  parts of any language.  I’ve found that students really enjoy learning them — especially if the teaching is done in a fun way.  There are certainly lots of enjoyable classroom lessons that can be done on this topic, and there are several good websites that students can use for reinforcement, too.

So, here’s another (short) “The Best…” list

My choices for The Best Sites To Help ELL’s Learn Idioms & Slang include:

In2English has an excellent series of Animated Idioms exercises.  They include an animated cartoon with text and audio explanations of each idiom.  This site is clearly my number one favorite on the list.

On The Tip of My Tongue is a great site from France that teaches English idioms through the use of cartoons, audio, and games.

The Slang Game teaches English…slang and idioms.

Slang-o-lator is a neat, colorful, game that first shows an image along with a slang phrase (”hanging out”).  Players then have to choose the correct definition.

The Biz Idiom game can be fun.

Here’s a game to test your knowledge of English animal idioms.

Try The Great Walk game from English Portal Games.

Eye On Idioms is an activity from Read Write Think.

The Idiom Connection has written explanations of many idioms (though they’re not presented in the most accessible way). However, they do have a lot of good quizzes.

The Idiom Jungle

English Expressions

More Idioms

The BBC’s “Learning English” has an extensive collection of humorous videos designed to teach English Language Learners idioms.

Teaching and Learning Idioms: The Big Picture is a helpful article by Eve Zyzik.

Idioms 4 You provides explanations of numerous English idioms. It provides them in various scenarios — all with audio support. Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide any visual clues, but I’m still adding it to this list.

ELT Pics is on The Best Online Sources For Images list already. I just discovered they have a great set of images related to Idioms.

Suggestions and feedback, as always, are welcome.

1. Larry,

thanks for the resources. I’ve taught idioms and slang many times, and it was always quite a challenge to choose the appropriate stuff.

Best,
    Mona

2. I have to learn only Idioms. I prefer this site to improve my English http://www.englishdaily626.com/...

There is no doubt that idioms make the sentence very beautiful and when you use them in speaking then it makes impression on the listeners.
    I am going to try out your suggested sites also..

3. Pingback: The Best Sites To Help ELL’s Learn Idioms & Slang | Larry Ferlazzo’s … | Learn English Online With Me

4. Pingback: Mapping the Middle School Social Studies Curriculum | Barbara Bray - Creative Learning Strategist