The Best Resources On Differentiating Instruction

456372266702414_a-cfdc3b43_lWzMUQ_pm

My colleague Katie Hull-Sypnieski is leading a February 1st Education Week Webinar on differentiating instruction, and I would strongly encourage people to participate. Katie’s the best teacher I’ve ever seen….

In addition, Katie and I have co-authored a piece for Education Week Teacher on the topic that will be appearing there soon (it’s appeared: The Five By Five Approach To Differentiation Success), and an upcoming post in my blog there will be talking about it, too (that two part series has also appeared). I also did a second two-part series in Ed Week on differentiation.

Given all that, a “The Best…” post was inevitable, and here it is.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources On Differentiating Instruction:

The Best Places To Get The “Same” Text Written For Different “Levels”

Busting Myths about Differentiated Instruction is by Rick Wormeli.

Reconcilable Differences? Standards-Based Teaching and Differentiation is by Carol Ann Tomlinson.

Deciding to Teach Them All is by Carol Ann Tomlinson.

Making a Difference: Carol Ann Tomlinson explains how differentiated instruction works and why we need it now is an Ed Week Teacher interview.

From Differentiated Instruction to Differentiated Assessment is by Douglas B. Reeves.

Mapping a Route Toward Differentiated Instruction is by Carol Ann Tomlinson.

Using Digital Tools for Differentiation is a wiki created by Bill Ferriter.

Differentiated Instruction: Setting the Pedagogy Straight is by Rick Wormeli.

Here’s a slide from a Rick Wormeli presentation:

Leadership for Grading Practices in the Differentiated Classroom is by Rick Wormeli.

Six Scaffolding Strategies to Use with Your Students is by Rebecca Alber.

This is a short video on scaffolding from Beyond The Bubble, a history site about which I’ve previously posted.

Thought it talks about history, its scaffolding recommendations can be helpful in any subject.

Video: “What Does A Yellow Light Mean?”

Setting the Stage for Change Toward Differentiation contains a very useful chart that was developed by Carol Tomlinson and others.

Student-Created Prompts As A Differentiation Strategy

Simple ways to differentiate materials for mixed level classes is an excellent post by Rachael Roberts. It’s focused on language teaching, but the ideas can be applied to any class.

Carol Tomlinson participated in an @ASCD chat on Twitter and shared a great infographic.

Here are a couple of tweets with it, followed by a few tweets I was invited to send about differentiation and ELLs.

Great Post: “Inventing Differentiation”

Differentiated Instruction Strategies: Using Learning Stations is from Teach Hub.

On-the-Spot Scaffolding for Students is from Edutopia.

Five Tips for Getting Started With Differentiation in a Secondary Classroom is from ASCD.

There’s No Time to Differentiate: Myth-Busting DI, Part 2 is from Edutopia.

Scaffolding for Success: Best Practices for Secondary ELLs is from TESOL. I’m adding it to The Best Resources On Differentiating Instruction.

Ways to differentiate texts is by Carissa Peck.

Feedback and/or Additional suggestions are always welcome.

You might also want to explore the over 800 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. The ability to differentiate instruction is so important in today’s classrooms! VocabularySpellingCity recently implemented a new Premium feature – Assignments – that allows teachers to create customized assignments for individual students or groups of students. As soon as each student logs on to the site, his/her personal assignment is visible and ready to be completed. All activities and test scores are automatically recorded for the teachers too.

2. Pingback: 91 EdTech Resources You May Have Missed–Treasure Chest January 15, 2012 | Tech the Plunge

3. Home of differentiated resources, teaching, Loop cards, Teachers pet, Ks1 resources, Curriculum 2014, Ks2 resources, Primary resources, Free resources ks2, New curriculum resources to help children progress in education
    http://www.classroomsecrets.co.uk