markmags / Pixabay

Plenty of research has found that students tend to become more motivated when their work will be seen by other people in addition to the teacher (see Best Places Where Students Can Write For An “Authentic Audience“).

I’ve previously written about these kinds of opportunities for Social Studies students (see The Best Sites Where Students Can Transcribe Historical Texts).

I’ve also published posts about “citizen science” sites, where students can perform scientific research that is “crowdsourced” and can be used by scientists around the world.

But I never put them together in a “Best” list and though it was time to do so, along with adding other citizen science tools that I hadn’t shared before.

Here they are (let me know what I’m missing):

I’m starting off with a site I learned about this morning called The Music Lab. It looks really cool – check it out! You can read more about it here.

How Could I Not Have Known About “iNaturalist”? It’s A Great Tool For Science & ELL Teachers!

Have Students Use “GlobalXplorer” To Become “Armchair Archaeologists”

“Zooniverse” Is One Of The Coolest Ed Sites On The Web – I Can’t Believe I’m Just Hearing About It!

SciStarter provides a database of more than 1500 vetted, searchable projects and events.

Citizen Science Projects is from National Geographic.

Find a project! is from SciGirls on PBS Kids.