It’s time for another “Best” list!

I’m adding this post to ALL MID-YEAR “BEST OF 2019” LISTS IN ONE PLACE!

You can see all previous editions of this Science list, along with other Science-related “Best” lists, here  (Best list son Planets & Space are here).

Let me know what I’m missing…:

I’m adding this video to The Best Resources For Learning About Rube Goldberg Machines:

What student wouldn’t find this lesson and video from TED-Ed:

I’m adding these two very useful visuals to The Best Sites To Learn About Climate Change:

Here’s an impressive animation:

You can read more about it at Vox’s article, Why the US bears the most responsibility for climate change, in one chart.

This next visual also comes from Vox:

You can read more about it at This book ranks the top 100 solutions to climate change. The results are surprising.

How animals view the world is a new tool from LensBest that lets you see how various animals see the world, and explains why that’s the case. You can choose the experience of a dog, cat, snail or bee. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Walking In Someone Else’s Shoes.

I’m adding this new video from the BBC to The Best “Theory Of Relativity” Videos:

The Washington Post published These DIY experiments on YouTube might inspire you to give science a try, which includes descriptions and sample videos from some excellent YouTube channels. Most of them include clips of experiments you can do at home or in the classroom, though some are more for viewing – only. I’m adding this info to The Best Sources Of Ideas For Simple Classroom Science Experiments.

I’m adding this video to The Best Sites For Learning About Human Evolution:

The #NewAreciboMessage is an effort by astronomers to enlist students and teachers to design a message to be sent to help contact possible aliens:

The main goal of this activity is to educate the youth on Radio Astronomy techniques and Exoplanetary cutting-edge science, presenting the uniqueness of the Arecibo Observatory capability and raising the awareness of the possible risks involved on messaging unknown earthlings (through social media) or extraterrestrial civilizations (through radio waves).

Students, from kindergarten to undergraduate courses, are welcome to join the New Arecibo Message (NAM) global challenge! From elementary-, middle-, high-schools, universities and similar Education organizations.

In addition to finding details at its website, you can read all about it at Vox, Astronomers are asking kids to help them contact aliens.

I don’t usually share videos from RT American, the news site funded by the Russian government, because often their work is pretty biased. However, this particular clip on this challenge seems pretty straight and useful:

I’ve previously shared all the Weather Channel’s wild “immersive mixed reality” videos, including ones on ice storms and tornado.

Here’s a newer one (you can read more about it at The Washington Post’s article, The Weather Channel uses virtual reality to reveal the terrifying danger of frozen lakes):

The New York Times Learning Network has  published this amazing resource: Teach About Climate Change With These 24 New York Times Graphs. It includes both the graphs and teaching ideas on how to use them. I’m adding it to The Best Sites To Learn About Climate Change.

As regular readers know, I taught a pilot support class for Long-Term English Language Learners – all their other teachers let me know a week in advance what they were going to cover and what prior knowledge might be helpful, and I did related lessons (see Update On The Pilot Class Providing Support To Long-Term ELLs I’ll Be Teaching Next Year). Those prep lessons were easy for English and Social Sciences since I had already taught those classes. They were more difficult for Math and Science classes, though I always integrat a lot of science in my ELL English classes. One week, students created models of plant and/or animal cells, and then presented them in their Biology class (after practicing in our class). Here is a video of a few of their creations:

“Skype A Scientist” has been on the The Best Sites Where Students Can Ask Science Questions & Receive Responses since it began. Earlier this year, I learned from Victor Tam about this new video they just published:

Data Nuggests are a series of science lesson plans that “co-designed by scientists and teachers. When using Data Nuggets students are provided with the details of authentic science research projects, and then get to work through an activity that gives them practice looking for patterns and developing explanations about natural phenomena using the scientific data from the study.”

Writing in Science: Guest post by Hochman and Wexler is from Bunsen Blue. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Writing In Science Class.

Stanford provides a free science curriculum called SCALE.