Web 2.0 has certainly been over-shadowed by Artificial Intelligence this year (see THE BEST 34 FREE AI TOOLS FOR EDUCATION IN 2023 – SO FAR).

And, I’m assuming that most Web 2.0 tools will be incorporating AI components soon, if they haven’t already.

So, this may be my last “Web 2.0” list!

As usual, in order to make this list, a site had to be:

* accessible to English Language Learners and non-tech savvy users.

* free-of-charge.

* appropriate for classroom use.

* completely browser-based with no download required (however, I’ve begun to make exceptions for special mobile apps).

You can see previous editions of these lists, along with all my Web 2.0-related lists, here. I completely revised and updated many of this this year.

Here are my choices for The Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education In 2022 – Part One. They are divided into three categories – Useful, Good, Excellent :

USEFUL

Snip is a Chrome extension that lets you highlight text on any webpage and then link to it. I’m adding it to The Best Applications For Annotating Websites.

Animated Route Maps “lets you easily create and modify a travel route on Google Maps and then view the scenery along the route using animated Street View.” I’m adding it to The Best Map-Making Sites On The Web.

Graphy lets you easily create various charts with your data. I’m adding it to The Best Tools To Make Simple Graphs Online.

Swallow Poll lets you create free online…polls.  I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Creating Online Polls & Surveys.

Vucac is an online whiteboard.  I’m adding it to The Best Online Tools For Real-Time Collaboration.

VistaCreate looks like a “Canva-lite.”

Google’s Journalist Studio has lots of visualization tools, and it doesn’t appear that you have to be a journalist to use them. I’m adding this info to The Best Resources For Creating Infographics.

Image Candy is a new – and free – photo-editing tool.  I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Online Photo-Editing & Photo Effects.

Corgi is a free online site designed to help teach accessible science lessons with, among other things, online graphic organizers. I’m adding this info to Not “The Best,” But “A List” Of Mindmapping, Flow Chart Tools, & Graphic Organizers.

Vizdium lets you easily create charts and graphs. I’m adding it to The Best Tools To Make Simple Graphs Online.

GOOD 

Slideator looks like an incredibly useful tool to record audio to accompany any slideshow – or even document – you’d like to share.  You can read more about it at Richard Byrne’s blog.  I’m adding it to The Best Sites To Practice Speaking English and to The Best Ways To Create Online Slideshows.

Beethoven Beats joins several other music-creation Google tools (see STUDENTS WILL HAVE A LOT OF FUN EASILY CREATING MUSIC WITH THESE THREE GOOGLE TOOLS).

In it, you tap out a beat, and Google then find a Beethoven melody that sort of matches it with your creation, which you can then share.

Here’s how Google describes Blob Beats:

In this rhythm-based game players take control of the Blobs and are challenged to play iconic compositions remixed in an arcade style. Hit the falling notes at the right time to play a classical masterpiece and score as many points as possible to maximize your high score. Progress through the difficulty levels as you develop from amateur to virtuoso and take a moment in-between your masterpieces to learn some fun facts about the composers who created them.

I’m adding both to The Best Online Sites For Creating Music.

EXCELLENT

This tool was listed under “Excellent” last year: It looks like Google is beginning to more widely distribute the Aloud tool (see Google’s New “Aloud” Tool Could Be A Huge Asset To Teachers Who Want To Make Their Content Accessible To ELLs ) to let people dub their videos in different languages, which could be very helpful to teachers. Check out the NBC News article YouTube creators can now dub their videos in multiple languages and YouTube’s blog post about it.

Of course, it also now appears that other AI tools (like Dubbify) may be able to catch up to Google pretty darn soon in being able to do this, too!