The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources

sell

Check out my Washington Post column, The manipulation of Social Emotional Learning

I’ll be writing a post soon in my Education Week Teacher column about Social Emotional Learning (SEL) (sometimes referred to as “character” education) soon, and thought it would be useful to develop a “The Best…” list on the topic.

Here are my choices for The Best Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources (I’m going to first start with sharing posts and resources from this blog, and then highlight several other sites):

You might want to visit the publishers website for my book, Helping Students Motivate Themselves. If you click on “sample chapters,” you’ll be able to get several lesson plans and hand-outs for free related to SEL.

Social Skills Training Report Is Even More Interesting Than I Thought… is a post on recent SEL research.

The Best Resources For Learning About Teens & Stress

The Best Resources For Learning About The Importance Of “Grit”

My Best Posts On Students Setting Goals

My Best Posts On “Motivating” Students

My Best Posts About Helping Students Develop Their Capacity For Self-Control

The Best Resources For Learning How To Best Give Feedback To Students

Now, for other resources:

Maurice Elias writes a great blog for Edutopia on SEL.

The Collaborative For Academic, Social and Emotional Learning has many resources.

Edutopia has a Social and Emotional Learning page.

Education Week also has a number of SEL resources.

Prof. James Heckman Says Adolescence Is Key Time To Teach (& Learn About) Self-Control & Perseverance

Social and Emotional Learning Research Review is from Edutopia.

‘How Children Succeed’ — Q&A with Paul Tough is from The Washington Post.

Paul Tough on how children succeed. Hint: It’s not academics
is from Maclean’s.

The grit factor: hard to measure, hard to succeed without is from Ed Source.

Social and emotional learning gaining new focus under Common Core is a very useful and interesting article published by Ed Source.

Quote Of The Day: “Lifelines For Poor Children”

Mind in The Making has developed a very useful list of children’s books divided up by the different SEL skills that are taught through them. They would be great for younger students and for English Language Learners.

Teaching the Whole Child: Instructional Practices That Support Social-Emotional Learning in Three Teacher Evaluation Frameworks is a report from the American Institutes For Research.

Social-Emotional Programs Target Students’ Long-Term Behavior is from Education Week.

I’ve posted another three-part series in Ed Week about teaching character.

Socialization technique helps in academic achievement, trial study finds is from The Washington Post, and describes results from a study on using Social Emotional Learning in the classroom. Here’s more info on the same research.

Here’s One More Small Thing I’m Doing To Help Students See The Importance Of Social Emotional Learning

Feedback and/or Additional suggestions are always welcome.

You might also want to explore the over 800 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Pingback: Dhoozy » the latest ideas in elearning designed for Australian schools… » Social Emotional Learning Resources

2. Pingback: Social awareness + Emotional skills = Successful kids | Chestnut ESL HOME